Open letter to Rob Dibble…You Are An Idiot

For those of you who do not know who Rob Dibble is let me explain.  Rob Dibble is a former Major League Baseball pitcher and currently does color commentary for the Washington Nationals on MASN.   It seems that during Wednesday night’s Nationals game he went on a bit of a rant about two women sitting right behind home plate as explained here by Dan Steinberg of the D.C. Sports Bog.

Mr. Dibble,

You are an idiot.  Just because two women were at a sporting event and as you said “haven’t stopped talking the whole game” does not mean they are talking about a sale! That comment was amazingly male-chauvinistic and closed-minded!  Just because two women are sitting next to each other at a game and chatting the whole time does not mean they are not talking about sports.  I go to games with my girl friends all the time.  As a matter of fact I mostly go to baseball games with girlfriends and believe it or not we know more about baseball probably than you do.  Heck, I even just went on a baseball road-trip with one of my girlfriends where we amazed guys with our baseball knowledge.

Women talk…it’s a part of our genetic make up.

What were they talking about? Who knows.  Maybe they were talking about how Ryan Zimmerman’s ass looks in his baseball pants.  Maybe they were talking about how MLB umpires are idiots and don’t have a consistent strike zone. Maybe they were talking about the pitch count and what the pitchers would throw next. Maybe they were talking about the latest bill that is before the Senate.  And maybe they were talking about sales and how they couldn’t wait to watch the next episode of “The Real Housewives of D.C.”.  WHO CARES!?

Point is Mr. Dibble, 1. You are paid to talk about BASEBALL not what is going on in the stands.  2. Don’t assume just because two (or more) women are sitting at a game together they came with their husbands, boyfriends, or even are part of a TV show.

Mr. Dibble…I know more about sports than the average guy and talk more than the average girl. I take severe offense to your comments and think you are amazingly pigheaded.

Next time I am visiting D.C. during baseball season I plan to go to a Nats game.  Maybe I will sit behind home plate and chat the whole game with one of my girlfriends and hold up signs saying “Hey Dibble….I’m sitting here discussing OBP and UZR not LV and DVF*”

Sincerely,
Not Your Typical Girl

*OBP- On Base Percentage
UZR- Ultimate Zone Rating
LV- Louis Vuitton
DVF- Diane von Furstenberg

Advertisements

About Not Your Typical Girl

Just a girl, who has typical and not so typical girl thoughts. I'll be using this space to talk about anything and everything. Maybe I'll even talk about you. Names *might* be changed to protect the innocent and the not so innocent....you decide..
This entry was posted in Sports, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Open letter to Rob Dibble…You Are An Idiot

1. Caryn says:

What’s funny is that this morning I wanted to organize a group of girls to sit behind home plate at the next game – before I even read this.

2. Sam says:

Great post. Absolutely LOVE the sign idea (both the general concept and the specific idea here).

Oh, and Rob Dibble, you are an idiot. In case you haven’t been told enough times.

3. Tracy Tran says:

In DC, I really hope they replace Dibble for Ray Knight, who does the pre and postgame. It’s funny last year, you wouldn’t know Dibble was doing the broadcast. This year with more eyeballs watching the Nats this season, he is getting ripped left and right, including Knight. It’s just to show DC is starting to become a sports town.

Oh and @Caryn, I think it will be easy now since no one sits behind home plate since its Redskins season. Just need a sponsor to pay $2000 for 10 seats and you’re set.

4. Juddah Kie says:

WOW!

I can only imagine he letter Delta received from you.

Let’s chip in and take an ad out in the Wasington Post and print this letter. lol

Thanks for the KEY at the bottom of the entry. I had no idea what DVF stood for. =)

5. Gary T. (@15Feet) says:

I have been privy to the antics of Dibble for many years: throwing a ball at a fan in the stands, fisticuffs w his manager Piniella in the locker room, etc. This kind of stereotypical comment comes as no surprise.

I have known many women who know more about the game than I do, that’s for sure, my spouse and mother-in-law are just two.

Everyone chats at a baseball game. It’s an outing, usually with friends. Most adults can multitask. Who cares what they were talking about. Nice job, NYTG. Good post. Your “street cred” as a fan is un-impeachable, your knowledge is vast.

I hope no one pisses you off about hockey. The fists will fly!!!

6. snoringdogstudio says:

I can’t stand sports, but you’re so right – what a creep Mr. Dribble is. It’s 2010 – who’d think that we’ve still got to deal with men like him? Great post.

7. Izabel (@izabel86) says:

As a women, I really hate when some men act like we know nothing about sports. Some even act like we shouldn’t have opinions on it b/c we’re considered to be clueless and have no idea what we’re talking about. Well I’m a girl who loves sports and understand it very well. Love, Love, Love this post. Great Read.

8. Terry says:

Loved every word! By the way what is UZR? You know baseball!!!

9. Amen! As a man, I’m offended that so many men feel women are inferior, shallow objects (because ya know, men aren’t…. lol). Love the blog! I also invite you to mine 🙂

10. Pingback: Rob Dibble Rant and Response Roundup | The OCD Chick

11. Nationelle says:

Hey, if you organize women to sit behind home plate at Nats Park and wear t-shirts saying “NOT talking about shopping” or hold up signs, count me in!

12. John says:

The best part is that I doubt Dibble would have any clue what UZR is.